skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Happy Santa Lucia Day!
This blog is dedicated to my mom and my maternal ancestors who came from Sweden. Sunday, December 13th is Santa Lucia Day. Did you remember, Mom? When my brother and I were kids, my grandma lived next door and the morning of every December 13th (until we revolted) my mom would get us up at the crack of dawn and we’d walk to my grandma’s house wearing a crown of candles. How we managed to never light our hair on fire is a mystery, but my mom would make this crown out of tin foil and…I hesitate divulging this piece of information…there is a photo of my brother and I somewhere wearing these crowns. There was a song that went with the procession to Gram’s, which I’ve successfully repressed so don’t ask me to sing it. Typically, you ate a certain type of bun this day called a Lussekatt, but in our house it was always Pillsbury cinnamon rolls and we’d carry these fancy baked goods to Grandma’s praying to God none of the neighbors saw us a. wearing fire and b. singing through an alfalpha field.
An interesting fact I found while trying to recall the reasons behind this bizarre tradition is the procession is usually headed by one girl wearing the crown of candles and then everyone follows her holding a single candle. So, Brother, kinda sounds like you got shafted seeing as how I vividly remember that ring of fire on your head too.
I also found that in Scandinavia, the younger population still carries out the tradition of “guarding oneself against being taken by Lucifer, Lord of Darkness” by having an all night party. The tradition requires you to stay awake on the night of the 12th until light arrives and saves you from Lucifer. What?! I remember no such party! I’m officially reinstating this tradition. Who’s with me?! There’s a Pillsbury cinnamon roll in it for you.
So this past Sunday, my little brother turned the big 3-0. Since I didn’t have the crown of candles picture to post, this one’s for you, Bro! Happy 30th…Yah! You get to be old now too!
HAHAHAHA! YES, I THINK OF DEC 13 EVERY YEAR, AND I ALSO THINK OF WHAT THE DAY REPRESENTS--A DAY TO CALL TO THE FIRE DEPT!! HA!!! ACTUALLY, GRAMPA USED TO WEAR THE RING OF FIRE IN MY HOUSE, BUT HE NEVER HAD ANY USE FOR THE FIRE DEPT SINCE HE HARDLY HAD ANY HAIR. HOWEVER, YOU KIDS DID HAVE HAIR, AND I ALWAYS KNEW THAT IT WOULD GROW BACK SHOULD IT EXPLODE OR BURN FROM THE CANDLES!!! THOSE ARE MEMORIES I WILL NEVER FORGET..I JUST LOVED THE PICTURES...GOT KINDA CHOKED UP THINKING HOW MANY YEARS HAVE PASSED BY. BUT THEN I DECIDED TO SET MY HAIR ON FIRE, SO I WOULD HAVE SOMETHING ELSE TO THINK ABOUT. MAYBE I WILL EVEN EAT A CINAMON ROLL TOASTED ON THE FLAMES AND SING SANTA LUCIA, SANTA LUCIA.....!!!!!
ReplyDeleteLOVE YOU. MOMMY