Thursday, September 17, 2009

Creativity Where Art Thou?

Edgar Allen Poe said “those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.” I am a daydreamer and I do a lot of my creative thinking in the shower. Someone told me water is a conductor to the creative realm. Whether that’s true or not I have no idea, but Albert Einstein thought that creativity was more important than knowledge. Since there’s no conductor to the knowledge realm (outside of books, colleges, lectures, seminars, conferences, universities, trade schools, actual people, the internet and various other resources), I guess I’ll have to stick to creativity.
However, the gerbil inside my head isn’t churning the wheel at full capacity right now and I’m finding myself deficient in ideas. Ideas for everything. What to cook for dinner, stories, art, photographs…my thoughts and ideas are kind of dormant right now. A rut, if you will. But, I’ve learned when in doubt…research. I decided to let the internet solve all my problems and when I searched for “creativity” I happened upon a list. Ten Steps for Boosting Creativity!
Listen to Bach. Worth a shot…I think I have some old classical CD’s from when my son was a baby and I was trying to plug him full of intelligence and class against his will.
Brainstorm. My brainstorming session went a little something like this: Me: “Hey family, help me think of something to write about!” Family: “We don’t know”. Gee, thanks.
Carry a notebook and jot down ideas as they come to you. So far the only thing I have written down is: “how are Star Trek phasers like tazers?” Actually, don’t be surprised if my next blog is an exposé on this very topic.
Randomly select a word from the dictionary. Ironically, the word was “limited”. Back to the drawing board.
Define your problem. Well, how much time do we have? I’m tired, I’m on a diet so I’m HUNGRY, I’m stressed, it isn’t Friday yet and my favorite show wasn’t on this week so I’m cranky. Hmmm, that didn’t work.
Go for a walk. Oh do I HAVE to?????
Don’t watch TV. What? But… Really? Okay fine.
Don’t do drugs. Drugs? Like I’d care about any of this if I was on drugs! This was a waste of a step.
Read. Read what? I’m reading about Nazi’s right now…nothing funny about that. Last funny book I read was Diet Girl and I already wrote about dieting and exercise. Rats.
Exercise your brain. Example, argue. Hey!!!!!!!! THIS one I like!!!!!!!!! Someone warn my husband he might be better off not coming home from work.
Armed with 10 useless suggestions I’m going to go forth and create. Wish me luck. Gerbil, full speed ahead!

2 comments:

  1. hey, i've heard of other uses for gerbils!!!! keep on truckin, girl. love you. mommy

    ReplyDelete